Jasmine’s Birth Story

Happy Halloween!! I hope you’re all having fun celebrating with your kids and letting yourself indulge in candy! Enjoy this awesome birth story of baby Logan.


Boredom and the delivery of a baby seldom go together, especially for a mother. I am used to fast paced, stuff is happening kind of deliveries. With delivering our first baby a mere 6 hours after feeling my first contraction and a 6 hour induced labor with our second child I was expecting 6 hours or maybe even fewer.

I also thought that by the time I had arrived at the labor and delivery of our third child, I would be a pro. That is not the case. Each of my births have been so different that I don’t even know if one would ever be a pro.

This birth story is much different than those that you have ever heard of, I’m sure.

I woke up with a tiny tightening feeling … thought” maybe that’s a contraction, maybe not, maybe I’ll just go back to sleep and see if I wake up again.” I had been tossing and turning in bed for a bit when I felt this sudden gush of fluid. It wasn’t a big gush or anything. I was sure I had wet myself and sprung from my bed to check things out. I got the bathroom to find a bit or yellowish, grainy fluid in my undies. I instantly thought it was strange and wasn’t really sure what was going on.

 I remember thinking “Did my water break? I thought that there would be more… Maybe I am peeing myself…”  I was clueless. This could have possibly been my biggest surprise. I was expecting a “typical” feel some contractions and head for the hospital labor.

When the small gushes didn’t stop, I put on a pad and headed for the living room. I sat there at 5 AM looking for answers on babycenter.com.  Searching for colored fluid, water breaking with color… anything that might point me in the right direction. After some reading I decided that probably it was my water and probably he had a bowel movement in utero.

 I started to notice a few small contractions, nothing more than some obvious tightening, but decided it was probably time to make some necessary calls and let the rest of the world know what’s going on. I sent my mom a text message so she would come watch our older babes and we could head to the hospital. I called the Labor and Delivery floor at the hospital and let them know what was going on. Although my contractions were not too strong they said if I thought my water had broken then I should come in regardless. I hung up the phone and went to wake my husband.

We got things into the car and waited for my mom’s arrival. I still was not having much of anything for contractions and seemed sort of dull. I said this was a boring delivery… up until the end anyway.

I was a little nervous that maybe the appearance of meconium would cause some complications with the delivery process but as we drove a peace came over me. I was sure things would be fine.

We arrived at the hospital around 7 AM and sat in the ER waiting area for what seemed like 25 minutes.  It might not have been that long but when you are a mom thinking that maybe your baby will arrive any minute you’re not too happy to wait any amount of time.  I was, however, happy to see a familiar face as our delivery nurse rounded the corner to get me. I had cheered in high school with our delivery nurse. At first I thought “Oh great, this could be interesting” but in actuality it was great. She is THE BEST delivery nurse!

We got to our delivery room in a rather short amount of time and did all the usuals, plus a little because of the meconium. I got into my jonny, used the bathroom, did vitals and then she checked me to see what was going on.  As my nurse was checking me she said “I can’t even believe this.” So my initial response is “What? What is happening now?”  To which she replies “You are the calmest person I have ever seen at about 7 cm dilated.” I was pretty surprised myself.

She hooked me up to the monitor and went on to check my fluids and to whether determine if it was really meconium or what was going on there. It was meconium, which meant that they would do the initial cord cut almost immediately after he was born in order to make sure he didn’t get anything down into his lungs. I still was pretty calm.

My nurse got me set up on my iv antibiotics for being strep b positive and I sat in the hospital bed just waiting for my midwife to come see me. I was hoping that even in that short of time things would progress. It may have been about half an hour and our midwife was there. To my surprise, when she checked me I was just 8 cm. I still wasn’t feeling much for contractions. I mean I knew they were there but I didn’t have to breathe through them and I could do all of my normal activity. Once our midwife left and my iv antibiotics were done I got up out of bed walked around, sat on the birthing ball, rocked in the chair… I did just about everything!

While a lot of the filler time from about 8 until 11:00 is a blur, I do remember it being a BORING blur! I tried to keep myself entertained and doing something but there wasn’t much to do. I was not expecting this type of labor at all. Sometime in there I got my second dose of antibiotic and was all set on the strep b spectrum.

Around 11 the contractions were picking up. A couple of them I had to concentrate for. Still relatively mild compared to the contractions that come toward the end of delivery. I had a few visitors come by. I’m sure they were expecting that things would be a little different at that point, as was I. My midwife came back to check me around 11:30 to find that I was completely dilated but his head was just not engaged and down where it was supposed to be. She decided that it was due to the intensity of the contractions, or really the lack thereof. She scraped my membranes and said that we had two options, either we get up and walk around and see if things start to fall into place or we start a Pitocin drip.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am and forever will be the person who does all things in the least invasive manner and with the least amount of drugs possible. I opted to get up and walk around. When I stood up out of bed I felt something change. I wasn’t sure just yet but I knew something was different. I decided that maybe I would try my hand on the labor ball again. I went to sit on it and almost instantly I was positive that something was different. I could not even sit.

Almost instantly following this point my contractions began to pick up. I requested that all of my visitors leave because I just knew something was happening. Not even moments later I was leaning over the counter in the labor and delivery room breathing through the most intense contraction I have ever experienced. I was actually hyperventilating trying to get through them at one point. With my husband to one side and my midwife to the other I breathed through about 3 super contractions before I decided it was time to get our boy into the world.

There wasn’t any more checking my cervix to see if it was time. It was just me, my husband, my midwife and the nurse. I absolutely loved how I was in control of the entire thing, no push now  or do it this way. It couldn’t have been better.

If it weren’t for the pictures I would not have any recollection of the time frames in which things happened that day. It was all so quick, once it started. I pushed through about three contractions, for about 13 minutes before welcoming little Logan into the world.  It was an amazing delivery! And all though he was swept away to the table on the other side of the room our first glance and first touch was beyond amazing.

As they were getting Logan taken care of I shared in a kiss with my husband. It might be one of my favorite parts about giving birth to our children. Other than actually getting to hold them and love on them, I get this super passionate kiss. It’s like he’s saying about 100 things (I love you, good job, I’m proud of you…) to me all through that kiss. I love it.

Logan was a healthy, happy, uncomplicated baby! No affects what so ever from the meconium.  Daddy was able to cut his cord just about 20 minutes after he was born and then he was taken to the nursery for some oxygen for another 20 or so minutes. These were the hardest minutes of my life, but they also gave time for my other children to come in and see me, which was equally as important, especially to them.

Moments later we all were welcoming a happy, perfect Logan back into the delivery room. We nursed and life was good! I couldn’t have been happier!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s